Tuesday, June 06, 2006

The South Asian Vomitorium, Briefly Revisited

The wifely half of the couple that lives down the road from the house in Montana is a physician specializing in internal medicine. I described to her my encounter with foodborne illness in great detail (as I do to anyone who will listen, and some who only pretend to.) She advised me that, because of the rapidity with which I became ill, my illness was likely the result of consuming "preformed toxins." My understanding is that this means, in laymen's terms, that I ate something that had been sitting around long enough to form said toxins. I believe this bolsters my suspicion that it was the buttery lobster sauce. Because let's face it -- the seafood was nothing if not fresh.

Anyway, I have a keen but vulgar interest in these things, so I listened carefully to this lecture. If I could only isolate some long and exotic name of the offending microbes, I would be thrilled.


I've been waiting for a chance to use this picture.