Tuesday, June 27, 2006

National Parks

This is a welcome development, though I must say I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. To resort to great understatement, let us just say I am unaccustomed to receiving good news from the Bush Administration, and so I'm wary of kicking that football Lucy's holding. But we'll see.

While it's true that there are wonderful places outside the national park system -- the Cabinet Mountain Wilderness in Montana comes to mind, as does the Eagle Cap Wilderness in eastern Oregon -- I have a particular fondness for our national parks and the philosophy behind them, if not always their management. Mr. T and I have a goal, in fact, to visit every U.S. national park in our lifetimes.

What's your favorite U.S. national park(s)? Mine's Glacier, though Everglades and Olympic run closely behind. (And I say this with the caveat that, appallingly, I have not yet visited Hawaii's or Alaska's national parks.) Alas, Mr. T and I would be making a lot more progress on our national parks goal if we weren't so frequently drawn back to Glacier.

I bet I can guess some of our commenters' faves: Rose's is Joshua Tree, and cayo loco's is Dry Tortugas. Bloggerdad, being the contrarian he is, votes for Big Sur, which isn't a national park at all.