Monday, January 02, 2006

An Astonishing Act of Self-Involvement to Close out 2005

I've been noticing that a lot of bloggers have been posting their "top ten posts of the year." Generally, these bloggers are picking out ten of their 2005 posts that they like the best and posting a wrap-up of them.

In almost all its incarnations, blogging is a pretty "self-referential" activity. (I cannot remember which blogger used that term and when, but one did, it stuck with me, and I'm using it.) Even so, it seems like a pretty striking act of self-involvement to actually take the time to pore over your work, pick out the ten posts you like the best, and create a whole new post with links to them.

So naturally I'm on board with it.

But because I do have a modicum of self-restraint, I will restrict myself to five:

In August, I reminisced about very nearly eating a grape I found on the ground once (after a mere three days of backpacking.) I like this post as much for the comments as for the actual post.

I like this post not because it's a prizewinning piece of writing, but because the described events encapsulate all the weird quirkiness of Montanans.

Here is "what passes for intelligent conversation at Trailhead House."

These two posts set forth my ethos of laziness.

That was kinda fun. Perhaps I should treat this as a self-originated meme. I think it's your turn, Rose!

(I'd tag you, Tony, but I'm not sure you've done five posts all year.)