Friday, January 27, 2006

Dangerous Vegans

Anyone see this in the national media? Yeah, didn't think so. Apparently the great national security threat of our times comes from people who literally wouldn't hurt so much as a honeybee:

For example, more than two dozen government surveillance photographs show 22-year-old Caitlin Childs of Atlanta, a strict vegetarian, and other vegans picketing against meat eating, in December 2003. They staged their protest outside a HoneyBaked Ham store on Buford Highway in DeKalb County.

An undercover DeKalb County Homeland Security detective was assigned to conduct surveillance of the protest and the protestors, and take the photographs. The detective arrested Childs and another protester after he saw Childs approach him and write down, on a piece of paper, the license plate number of his unmarked government car.

"They told me if I didn't give over the piece of paper I would go to jail and I refused and I went to jail, and the piece of paper was taken away from me at the jail and the officer who transferred me said that was why I was arrested," Childs said on Wednesday.

The detective did not comment in his report about why his license tag number was already visible to the public.
Thanks be to God the gummint is there to protect us from those militant pacifists.

The detective wrote that Childs was "hostile, uncooperative and boisterous toward the officers." Childs said today that the agents shouldn't have been there in the first place, squelching legal dissent.

Boisterous. Boy am I in trouble. Anyone ever seen me near a chocolate cake?

Does anyone have any more on this? Did this little carrot-eater actually threaten someone at some time, or does the DeKalb County Division of Homeland Security really have this much time on its hands?

Via Pandagon.