Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Observations Across the Spectrum

The Supremes have upheld Oregon's physician-assisted suicide law. If I have some extra time today, I'm going to read the opinion, at which point I will report back. (Yes, I know, I said I had trouble doing legal analysis unless I was getting my hourly rate. But I'm interested in this one, so bite me.)

You know, Oregon does a lot of sensible things that the rest of the country won't touch. Mail-in ballots, assisted suicide, medical marijuana. Interestingly, Oregon's state constitution is modeled after Indiana's. Which should give you some small idea of the vast oceans of difference in how they get interpreted. I have concluded that it's the rain. You just start to not give a shit after awhile. "Fuck it, it's been raining for the last 45 days. Let's pass an assisted suicide law."

Anyone watch the Golden Globes? Is it just me, or would it be a real pisser to co-write with the computer-eschewing Larry McMurtry? Let's hope he had an assistant kind enough to scan his typewritten drafts and e-mail them to Diana Ossana.

As for the award for best score, well, just insert heavy sigh here. I will defer to the words of Shakespeare's Sister:

How does Gustavo Santaolalla not win for Best Score? I. Get. It. John Williams is a great composer blah blah blah. He doesn't need any more awards. And none of his scores have ever given me the shivers the way Santaolalla's did.
Ditto.

What's everyone up to today?