Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Broke Backlash?

Well, the Academy Awards nominations are out. Brokeback leads the group with eight nominations. I was particularly pleased to see Jake Gyllenhaal get a nod for best supporting actor. In truth, I was even a little more impressed with his performance than with Heath Ledger's. It would have been awfully easy to make Jack Twist a caricature. But Gyllenhaal added such amazing texture to what could have easily been a generic devil-may-care rodeo cowboy. Gyllenhaal perfectly portrayed the elusive truth that the "stable" partner sometimes depends almost totally on his more expressive partner as a conduit for emotional release -- in some respects, even as a means of feeling.

I'm rooting for Brokeback, but not just because it would be a wonderful thing in these medieval times for a gay-themed movie to win at the Oscars. It's the theme of self-emergence in the wilderness that captivates me most.

So since I'm rooting for Brokeback, the S.A.G. awards gave me some pause; I believe the film was almost or totally shut out (Wasteland? Full Moon?) I'm wondering whether there is a "Broke Backlash" forming that will affect its performance at the Oscars. Thoughts, film-ies?