Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Paul Hackett Makes Me Hot*

Because he says to hell with the genuflecting, craven Democrat paradigm, instead choosing to be bluntly honest about matters:

"The Republican Party has been hijacked by the religious fanatics that, in my opinion, aren’t a whole lot different than Osama bin Laden and a lot of the other religious nuts around the world," he said. "The challenge is for the rest of us moderate Americans and citizens of the world to put down the fork and spoon, turn off the TV, and participate in the process and try to push back on these radical nuts – and they are nuts."
Thank you, Paul, can we have another?

More:
With succinct coherence, Hackett said: "I’m pro-choice, I’m pro-gay-rights, I’m pro-gun-rights. Call me nuts, but I think they’re all based on the same principle and that is we don’t need government dictating to us how we live our private lives."
Then he applies a much-needed smackdown on marriage equality issues:

Asked to define being pro-gayrights, Hackett said anybody who tries to deny homosexuals the same rights, including marriage, as every other citizen is un-American. Are you saying, he was asked, that the 62 percent of Ohioans who voted in November 2004 to constitutionally deny same-sex marriages are un-American?

"If what they believe is that we’re going to have a scale on judging which Americans have equal rights, yeah, that’s un-American. They’ve got to accept that. It’s absolutely un-American."
You're got-damn right it's un-American, junior. I love you, Paul.

Go read the whole thing.

And you know what else? He refused to apologize when the Repubs started squawking about it.


*I'm just stodgy enough to feel the need to apologize to his wife for this statement. But I just can't help it.