Monday, April 24, 2006

Wherein Your Blogger Successfully Avoids Little Yellow Seafish, but not Jackie Chan


There is a mall at the top of Victoria Peak. Because, presumably, when you go for a fantastic view of one of the world's most interesting cities, you want to make sure you have the opportunity to spend perfectly good money on useless items.

I suppose I'm being unnecessarily curmudgeonly with respect to this issue, as I did come by a painting for my brother here, and our hosts purchased for us some frightening dried food item they referred to as "little yellow seafish." I could perceive nothing yellow in them at all, but I thought it better not to explore the matter in any detail. I pled fullness from too many margaritas, but Bladerunner had no choice but to try them. Yum. Little yellow seafish.

Of course, by Tuesday little yellow seafish would be looking pretty good. But I'd better not get too far ahead of myself.

Buzzed as I was, I still managed to get some snapshots from the peak. I did not bother with the pro gear, as the light was just not pleasing enough for anything but snaps. I am advised that the skies are clearer in autumn.

Here is the tram that carries passengers up and down the mountain. It took me approximately four tries to get a decent picture of the tram. **cough**margaritas**cough**


I also understand that Jackie Chan lives on this mountain. What Sean Connery is to Scotland, Jackie Chan appears to be to Hong Kong. His image is everywhere. Jackie Chan on the boardwalk by the Art Museum, Jackie Chan on TV, Jackie Chan on Victoria Peak. I'm sure he's a lovely gentleman, but I really had no idea he'd be such a ceaseless traveling companion.