Saturday, April 29, 2006

Spaghetti Marinara, Chinese Entrepreneurs and The Ming Dynasty

We flew Shanghai Airlines from Guangzhou to Nanjing on Thursday afternoon. I liked Nanjing very much. The weather was cooler with much lower humidity, there was little haze, and the buildings were attractive and pleasingly arranged. I also ate my first full meal since Zhuhai in Nanjing that evening, at an Italian restaurant. I had a plate of spaghetti marinara. Plain, but non-threatening. It felt good to taste food again.

We visited Nanjing in order to meet with a potential new supplier. M is a man in perhaps his early 40's who was once a college professor. Finding, however, that being a college professor made him about $10US per month, he decided to become a wealthy entrepreneur instead. This seemed like a rational choice to me. His business associate, C, is an attractive thirty year old who spent two years in Holland studying international business before returning to China to work with M. He is also -- get this -- a nature photographer. We hit it off immediately.

C was our tour guide Friday morning. Nanjing was the seat of the Ming Dynasty, so he took us first to the Xiaoling Tomb of the Ming Dynasty.



Trees. Cool breezes. I was very pleased.

Approaching the tablet room.


I get a kick out of photographing old roads. I photographed the cobblestones in Toledo, Spain as well.


In the tablet room.



Dragons.

I must say, I'm heartily annoyed that Blogger isn't letting me upload any more images on this post. I'll try again on a wholly separate post.