Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Vultures Are Back

I think I have it figured out.

Setting aside for a moment the disturbing fact that Trailheadcase is number one when you google "vulture anus," I think I understand why people keep googling that phrase.

Consider this paragraph from the third site listed under "vulture anus:"

If hyenas don't deserve their reputation as loathsome scavengers, vultures certainly seem to. When we arrived this hapless zebra was half a zebra. Athumani said it probably died from natural causes earlier in the day. The squawking, squabbling, grunting vultures started at the anus and worked forward from the inside - vulture beaks cannot penetrate the thick zebra hide. There was constant turn-over as new vultures swooped in and the group fought amongst themselves for good spots.
(Emphasis added.)

Mmm. Yummy. Eww. So I guess everyone googling this phrase just wants to know -- is it really true? Do vultures eat the anus first? Well, folks, I think you have your answer.

Anyway, this still does not fully explain the first google in this category, which was, more specifically, "does a turkey vulture have an anus?" Perhaps this original googler was more concerned that the turkey vulture might be subject to the principle of what goes around, comes around. Vulture karma, if you will.

I should go back to blogging about slugs.

Update: As I continue to get hits from those of you googling this phrase, would one of you kindly drop me an e-mail (see sidebar to the right) and let me know whether my surmise is correct? Or is there something I'm not getting here?