Wednesday, April 12, 2006

A Post with No Name

We leave for China on Saturday. Wasteland will be posting the digital images I send back, but most of the commentary will be posted upon my return.

You know, I struggle with the ethics of travel, especially international travel. Such activities are energy-intensive, as well as money-intensive. On the other hand, I think Americans are far too insular for their own good or the good of the rest of the world.

So I go. Because I want to see how the rest of the world lives. I want to meet people in other countries (and other parts of this country), and partake respectfully of their culture. And, I admit, because I love it. I love seeing places that before only existed for me in my imagination.

When I get home, I have a whole season of photography waiting for me. The end of April will find me on the hunt for the fairy slipper orchid in the Columbia River Gorge, and visiting the Tom McCall Preserve in the Gorge as well.

After the close of summer, I hope to settle in for awhile, and just live. There hasn't been enough of that in the last three or so years. Then again, I'm probably not very good at it in any event!

Time to make another run up Laundry Mountain.