Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Creeping Rhinoviruses and Pre-Trip Dread

So we're having a fairly busy week. Each of us has big, time-consuming projects going on at work, there is a laundry mountain in my house that grows by the minute, I'm trying to squeeze in progressively longer hikes each day, and we're preparing to leave the country for 8 days.

So naturally, cue The Cold. TS came down with it in wicked form on Sunday morning, and I'm waiting, transfixed in clammy dread, for the hammer to drop on me or TK. I really don't want to be in the throes of a nasty bug on a ten-hour flight, and I really don't want my son to be sick when I leave for said flight. I tend to get a low-grade anxiety before I embark on a trip anyway, and I don't need the prospect of illness to add to it.

I'm probably vastly overstating my own importance in the whole TK/illness situation, as the child is blessed with two appallingly indulgent grandmothers, one of whom will be presiding at Trailheadquarters (I really like that word, Wasteland!) during our absence. I expect that, approximately four seconds after "Mimi" arrives on Thursday night, TK will forget that his parents even exist.

Hell, he thinks we're going to China to get him a new bathtub fish. He'd probably prefer that we get after it already.