Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Post About Nothing

Well, in the last three days my voice has gone from husky to totally nonexistent -- a rapid transition from sexy to tracheotomy. Today I have achieved bullfrog, but only intermittently. Those of you who know me must know what voicelessness is doing to me. Plus, 98% of preschooler-management is spoken. I have a few meaningful facial expressions, but those only go so far.

Meanwhile, after looking at the headlines it's difficult not to conclude that the world is congealing into one magnificently odiferous turd: The witless Democratic establishment has decided that eating its young is the proper trajectory for the party, and has pushed one of its most talented candidates right out of politics. Buh-bye, Paul Hackett. Way to go, guys! But wait. Is anyone really this stupid? Does anyone do anything this absurd without intent? Dunno, my question for the day, I guess. Stupid fuckers, all. At least Howard Dean knows what's what. Guess he's had personal experience with this sort of "Washington skullduggery."

In other news, Deadeye Dick has decided to break his offensive, arrogant silence by deigning to give an interview to the criminally obsequious Fox News (way too many adjectives in that sentence, I know). That'll be a hard-hitting interview. "Tell me, Mr. Vice President, how have you been bearing up under all this? How terrible was it for you when it dawned on you that this man assaulted your birdshot with his face?"

Okay, enough about politics. The other day Full Moon says, "okay, here's what I don't get. You have this blog, and it's called "Trailhead-case," she observed, emphasizing "trail." "Yet, you talk about politics all the time. Why is that?" Fair question, FM. Partly it's because politics is really pissing me off right now, and I tend to obsess about things that piss me off. But more importantly, politics has a direct impact on my life as a lover of the outdoors. A quick example: The Bush administration wants to sell off public lands to compensate for slashing federal funding of education in order to keep Paris Hilton in tax cuts. That sort of thing tends to get me worked up.

But enough of that, really. Who can pay attention to such things when Willie Nelson has released a gay cowboy song? Written by singer-songwriter Ned Sublette during the "Urban Cowboy" craze in the early '80s, "Cowboys are Frequently, Secretly (Fond of Each Other)" contains such sterling lines as "What did you think them saddles and boots was about?" Nelson recorded it last year.

As soon as I'm finished here, I'll be skipping off to iTunes to blow my last 99 cents on this one.