Monday, February 20, 2006

Little Beirut Averts a Pestilence

When I lived in Indiana, I knew all the local politics. Hell, I was marinated in them. But as a newly-minted Oregonian, I know exactly dick about Oregon and Portland politics. Lately, I've come to rely on the proprietors of the recently-launched Loaded Orygun to educate my ignorant ass.

While visiting said website today, I learned that Portland, a city the elder Bush once tenderly referred to as "Little Beirut," has issued a "not no but hell no" to the GOP's request for bids to host the 2008 Republican National Convention.

Carla at Loaded Orygun observes:

[Portland Mayor] Potter says that Portland doesn't have the necessary hotel room space or convention space, even with the expansions at the Convention Center. Plus the cost to fumigate the city once the RNC cockroaches take their leave would be prohibitive.

I say we open up Dignity Village in the parking structure at the Convention Center and let the Republican delegates pitch tents alongside the homeless. The city could charge $150 for tent space and access to toilets inside--which will stop working halfway through the Convention in Katrina aftermath style. Let the GOP see what their leadership is really all about.


Ahem. Damn right.