Sunday, February 05, 2006

Lo! And the Angels Sang Hosanna: Trailhead Gets Some (Sun, That Is)

There is no more perfect winter day than that which was gifted upon the upper-left-hand corner of Oregon today. So the only rational thing to do was pack up the backcountry skis and head to The Mountain. And the cherry on top of this sundae is that all the annoying snowmobilers* were back at home grunting and watching football today, and not annoying me.


I do not ordinarily take photographs of any kind, even snapshots, through the windshields of vehicles, moving or otherwise, but today I threw standards to the wind and allowed sun-induced joie de vivre to consume me entirely.




Today was the big day for TK: He got to 'ki all by himself (TK feels that enunciating an "s" before consonants is insufferably priggish, and avoids it whenever possible.) The Mountain Tracks Ski & Snowboard Shop went above and beyond by offering to rent us a brand new pair of skis since they were out of TK's size in the rentals.


This is the Trillium Lake Loop, a roughly 4.5 mile trail.


The inevitable: 'kiing loses its allure, and the backpack gains it.




Sun!

And now, every inch of my body is screaming at me like Bobby Knight at an errant referee. Can't wait till my muscles stiffen up overnight. It's like being hung over, only better.



* Yes, I know they can't possibly all suck; but the only the ones I've encountered have all seemed like thirteen-year-olds drunk on ego, testosterone, and a grossly inflated sense of entitlement. And those were the parents.