Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Execution

So they executed Danny Harold Rolling in Florida for the murders of five college students in Gainesville in 1990.

I moved to Gainesville in 1993. One of the apartments I had was a quarter of a mile away from where Danny Rolling killed one of his victims. I worked with the cousin of one of the victims, an 18-year old college student. Rolling had killed her and left her head on a bookcase to be found later. I remember my co-worker breaking down in agonized tears on the day Rolling was convicted.

I'm generally against the death penalty, and even worked hard my third year in law school on behalf of an inmate on North Carolina's death row (he's now serving life without parole). But there are days when it's hard to work up a lot of passion about it. This is one of them.