Thursday, July 13, 2006

It's a Fine Day for a Blogiversary

I started this blog on an idle Wednesday morning, after I'd had a one- or two-day dip in workload, and would otherwise be sitting around picking navel lint. Wasteland and I had been gabbing about it for awhile, and I decided I'd start a "practice" blog. Well, as of today, I've practiced for a year.

It's been pretty fun, and I've connected with some great people: Rose was among the first, and responded to one of my posts about the inherent suckiness of work in which I quoted Homer Simpson: "Kill my boss? Do I dare live out the American dream?" I'm glad she did, because I've made a friend I've never met, and have been privileged to watch her daughter's first year of life. This is by no means a high-traffic blog, but a few more connections kept coming: Jeannie, jlb, sylvia, bert, kristy, and according to statcounter, a handful of lurkers (hi lurkers!).

One of the crappy things about this week is that I got off the trail renewed, with plans in a number of different directions (including this site), and all that has gone to hell with the loss of a dog who'd been part of this family for a decade. I am in a sort of mental and emotional disarray. Occasionally I'll look around and see her harness on the chair or one of the rawhides she liked to stockpile under my bed, as if in preparation for some imminent and disastrous chewie shortage, and I realize I have a few wounds to lick before I can revert to the energy and plans I had coming off the PCT.

One of those things was continuing a PCT section-hike, and beginning an Oregon Coast Trail section hike. But it may be awhile before I step back onto a trail without my trail dog.

So I'm going where these things are easier. Where else? Tomorrow we're packing up our work, our kid, and Lovable Mutt, and we're going to the Montana house for a few days. I'll probably be in touch from the Libby Cafe.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who left comments on the Boo post. Every single comment provided yet more comfort to both of us.