Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Diva Report

Packed cell volume up slightly today.

She needs an actual chart for the bunch of meds she's on, some of which are wicked enough that we're supposed to wear latex gloves to give them to her.

I just went to administer her 2 p.m. dose, which consists of a single half tablet, unlike at 10 a.m., 10 p.m, and 6 a.m., which involve many more pills. I carved out a small chunk of watermelon, one of her favorite snacks, and approached her. I always wait till the last second to stick the tablet into the watermelon so it doesn't dissolve and get messy. I waved it under her nose.

Not interested. Tried again. Still not interested. Got some bread. A mere sniff.

This was a challenge, because she's supposed to eat bland things to keep her from horking up her meds, so I was unsure whether to move to something more savory, and therefore more appealing. But she can't throw something up that isn't in there, and besides, this is the drug that's supposed to protect her stomach lining from the steroids we're giving her, and she really needs it. So I moved to a small chunk of delicious Tillamook cheddar cheese. A few sniffs, but no dice.

So I boiled some chicken. No thanks. A slab of pungent canned dog food. Not today.

I sighed, put the tablet down and stuck my fingers between her teeth to begin the tedious process of prying open her jaw. For a dog in her weakened condition, she showed remarkable muscle strength. She was not going to open her mouth. Fortunately, She With The Greater Packed Cell Volume won out, as Diva got tired of clenching her jaw. I popped the tablet on the back of her tongue, she gave me a pissy look, and then she swallowed it.

Just another glamorous day at Trailheadquarters.