Friday, September 08, 2006

My 36th birthday: bears, snotty grass and smart-ass husbands

Mr. T's birthday isn't until September 20, which gives him 13 days every year to crow about how he's married to an older woman. Blah, blah, blah, now shut the fuck up.

Actual conversation this morning at the La Quinta Inn in Kalispell, Montana:

Mr. T: It's 7:30! We have one day left in Glacier. Let's get up!

Me: Mpffffmf.

Mr. T (leaning in closer): You know, I've noticed something since I've been married to an older woman. You don't seem to have the energy you used to.

Me: Or it could just be that you're a succubus and are draining it all away from me.

We old bitches still have the comebacks handy, even when we're half asleep.

Yesterday was nice, though the schedule was altered a bit by a dog. We originally planned to leave for Glacier Wednesday afternoon, and spend my entire birthday there. But on Wednesday morning, Lovable Mutt began to cough, wheeze, bleed from the nose and otherwise appear to be in respiratory distress. We were concerned enough to call the only vet in town, who did not have an appointment available until 9:00 am on my birthday. So we pushed back our plans, and decided to leave right after the vet and come back Friday evening.

Then, very early Thursday morning, Lovable Mutt began to raise a major ruckus, wheezing and sneezing and pawing madly at her nose. I got up to check on her. Lo and behold, she had about an inch-long piece of grass hanging out her left nostril. Because there was no other choice, I grabbed it and yanked out what turned out to be a seven-inch long piece of grass. She sneezed once more, shook her head a little and went immediately back to sleep.

Well, no wonder.

So. My first act after turning 36 was pulling a piece of snotty grass out of my dog's nose. No doubt this bodes well for the year.

On the other hand, late yesterday afternoon we spent 20 minutes watching a black bear cram his gullet full of berries in Glacier National Park. As soon as we figure out how to get the footage from the digital video camera, I'll youtube it here for you.