Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Goodbye, Ann Richards

Former Texas Governor Ann Richards died tonight of esophageal cancer.

Shit.

In remembrance, I'd like to bring you some of my favorite Ann Richards quotes:

“Poor George [Bush], he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth.”

"Oh, I would probably have raised more hell." (When asked what she would have done differently had she known she'd have only one term as governor.)

"I have always had the feeling I could do anything and my dad told me I could. I was in college before I found out he might be wrong. "

“I have very strong feelings about how you lead your life. You always look ahead, you never look back.”

On how to be a good Republican: "1. You have to believe that the nation's current 8-year prosperity was due to the work of Ronald Reagan and George Bush, but yesterday's gasoline prices are all Clinton's fault. 2. You have to believe that those privileged from birth achieve success all on their own. 3. You have to be against all government programs, but expect Social Security checks on time.”

“Let me tell you, sisters, seeing dried egg on a plate in the morning is a lot dirtier than anything I've had to deal with in politics.”


We're poorer without her.