Thursday, December 22, 2005

Woohooooo! A New Meme!

For a number of reasons, I've been out of the blogworld for several days, but Rose has managed to draw me back in with one of blogging's most delightful guilty pleasures, the meme. So here it goes:

What were you doing ten years ago?

Ten years ago I had just finished law school finals and graded onto law review by scoring in the top 5% of my section. (Yep, today is the today for shameless self-promotion, dammit.) Alas, TS had just received his first master's degree, and we had about three dollars in the bank account. So when he received a job offer in North Carolina shortly before Christmas, we knew we should probably take it. I made a huge leap of faith, took a semester off law school, moved to Winston-Salem, North Carolina in January, and transferred to Duke University School of Law the following August.

What were you doing one year ago?

Preparing to head back to Indy to move all of our stuff out to Oregon and get the house ready to sell. We had moved to Oregon after TS got his MBA and a job out here. You know, I'm sensing a theme here.

Five snacks you enjoy:

1. Trader Joe's spicy flaxseed corn/soy tortilla chips. Yum.
2. Starbucks coffee almond fudge ice cream.
3. Anything sweet and/or loaded with carbohydrates. I'm hopeless.
4. Hot chocolate from the South Bend Chocolate Company.
5. My signature trail mix: assorted nuts, raisins, dried cranberries and a couple handfuls of Cracklin' Oat Bran.

Five songs to which you know all the lyrics:

This question doesn't really work for me. The same freakishly strange memory that lets me remember twenty year old conversations verbatim also allows me to know the lyrics of pretty much any song I've listened to multiple times. Yes, this is creepy and bugs most people I'm close to. Especially my husband, who can't remember what he had for lunch two days ago.

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:

1. Pay the goddamn sun to come out occasionally during the winter here.
2. Purchase off-the-grid crash-pads in strategic locations: Montana, Indy, Georgia, and the Florida Keys.
3. Eat at Waffle House once a week and leave $100 tips.
4. Spend a lot of time making sure my son doesn't develop the obnoxious sense of entitlement that seems to afflict so many rich kids.
5. Be broke again within five years.

Five bad habits:

1. Like Rose, I am a cuticle mutilator.
2. Staying up too late.
3. Not finishing things I start.

Five things I like doing:

1. Cuddling up with my kid to read, or watch Thomas the Tank Engine.
2. Anything with my husband except paying bills.
3. Nature photography and its attendant traveling. (Well, duh. Did the image blog clue you in?)
4. Having dinner parties.
5. Being outside.

Five things you would never wear or buy again:

1. Parachute pants, of course.
2. A pillow-top mattress. Awful things, they are.
3. An electric stove.
4. Any kind of tube top (cut me a break, willya? I was six.)
5. A Michael Jackson album (I wasn't six, but I wasn't old enough to know better, either.)

Five favorite toys:

1. TK's trains
2. Our new fondue pot
3. My birthday kayak
4. The backcountry skis Bloggerdad got me for Christmas last year.
5. My Bladerunner. :)

Five people I want to do this:

1. Tony
2. Tony
3. Tony
4. Tony
5. Brace yourself....insert drum roll here...Wasteland Fan! It's Christmas vacation! The semester is over! Take a sabbatical from the sabbatical! Throw a bone to the great unwashed masses who love your work!