Wednesday, October 12, 2005

From the Inbox: How to Run a Marathon

From reader/buddy A on her experience with the Chicago Marathon last weekend:

You know, the last seven miles were awful. Some worse than others. I got a couple weird bursts of energy thanks in part to OutKast's "Hey Ya." The last three miles were pure hell. When you turn the corner at 26, you only have .2 to go, but it just looked so darn far away, I almost cried - and I'm not sure if it's because I was so glad to be done or so sad about the last .2.

Towards the end, I wanted to walk but I knew I needed to run it even if I was shuffling in order to feel like I'd finished. Plus, run or walk, you still got to get to the end. I just kept counting the minutes, knowing approximately how many more it would take me. Afterwards, I was so focused on being able to sit down, but I had to find M, it was nuts. It was almost like being sick, wandering around looking for him.

Then we just laid on the grass and marveled at why anyone would do it.

Congratulations, A & M!