Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Subject? We don't need no stinkin' subject

This is my first attempt at an underwater nature photograph, circa 2004. That contraption -- also known as a Nikonos V and Ikelite strobe -- ain't exactly graceful. Plus, I always have trouble on dives actually staying down, on accounta I'm full of hot air a chick with body fat, and this makes my body want to pop to the surface like an unfettered buoy. They always weigh me down with multiple metal bars strapped into a piece of webbing which then gets tied around my waist. But it's still a fight, and when your body is trying to surface, these are the kinds of compositions you get.

Fortunately, I'll get another opportunity to use the old film-based dinosaur contraption in January, when we head to the Florida Keys for more days than I deserve, and fewer days than I would like.