Thursday, December 21, 2006

Quote of the day

"Never, ever go anywhere ... and not be prepared to spend some time out there, because you might get caught," Wampler said. "Oregon, the Northwest, anytime you get off that highway out here, you're in the wilderness."

-- Sheriff Joe Wampler, discussing the recent search for three climbers on Mt. Hood, and no doubt also referring to the Kim family tragedy in southern Oregon.

This is exactly right. I was discussing with Tony recently why both of those incidents affected me so much, and I think it's because I identify with both parties in some measure. Mr. T and I are a couple with a child who spend a fair amount of time on isolated mountain roads, and we're also outdoor enthusiasts who love the Mt. Hood area. These recent events have caused us to reexamine our practices, to mentally consider our gear, to more carefully evaluate what we take in the car during the winter, and to consider the implications of every outdoor foray.

One of my first bosses in the legal biz advised me once to "consider how other people can screw up," and plan accordingly. But I think it's also critical to consider how you can screw up, and plan accordingly.

Overconfidence kills.