Friday, December 22, 2006

Beautiful Wreck? I 've got one of the two, and guess which one it is

Isn't it funny how music can sound like a beginning?

For some reason, I always find my new mountain driving/hiking/kayaking soundtracks right around the first of the year. Last year it was the superb Brokeback soundtrack. This year it's my beloved Shawn Mullins, whose music has riveted me for many, many years. So imagine my delight at his latest, 9th Ward Pickin' Parlor. (Which I'm stunned to discover has been out for awhile and somehow, somehow, I missed it.) I don't love all Mullins' songs (some of the more pop-sounding ones kind of make me yawn), but I go out of my mind over about three quarters of them.

And now, there's the jaw droppingly perfect Blue as You:

New like smoky mornin’, Cool like heaven glow
Meet me on the mountain, I got no place to go

I like my daylight to be silver
I like my night skies to be blue
Blue as you
Go here and scroll halfway down to listen to clips from the CD, including of course, Blue as You, and the irresistible Beautiful Wreck.